Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Monday, May 11, 2009

My Sweet 16th

I had my 16th weekend here in Morocco and I spent most of my time playing tourist and resident videoke ass! Allow me…

Friday afternoon I went to Label Vie Meknes and bought school stuffs for my ward. Then I bought sardines, mozzarella cheese, wheat bread and 2 cans of coke. I paid something like 59 Dirhams which made me smile and think about home. I’ve learned not to convert or else I won’t be able to buy anything here in Morocco.

Then I headed to the pastries section where I ordered 5 croissants, 1 slice of choco moose and 1 strawberry cupcake that has real, 3 big pieces of strawberries. Sugar overload for me and I tell you, the effects of this lasted for 2 days.

Met Katarina. Kata wanted to bring me to the Anime’ Festival in Bob Almansour that night but I begged off since the show would begin by 830 in the evening and man oh man, grand taxis going to my place won’t be available anymore.

So we stood in front of the Label Vie trying to decide on what to do that afternoon. Taxi drivers, assholes and plain passers-by looking at us and giving us the look on their faces that says “What an odd combination, a tall, white German girl spending time with a small Asian guy”. Anyways she asked me if I have seen the Catholic Cemetery and I said no. We both wanted to go there but the problem was she didn’t know the name of the place.

We instead agreed on going to our own home bases.

Saturday morning was another Moroccan morning for me. Feeling alone and stranded in a place where nobody really knows what I’m going thru at night and early, early morning. I have learned to appreciate the windows media player on my notebook and put it on a repeat forever mode for which song I happened to chance upon. Of course I do choose the album which I’m going to “chance upon” and lately it has always been Ely and his Eheads cohorts. I don’t know what really happened to my WANA Mobile Modem for I can no longer connect to my internet here in my room unlike before.

Well…

Saturday I spent my time walking, café-ing and tagine-ing with Katarina in Khemiset. Khemiset is a small town located 45 minutes away from Meknes. We used a grand taxi which cost us 20 Dirhams each. It was a serene Saturday in Khemiset which is known for its carpets and wood crafts. I bought 3 turtle wood carvings which I hope my kids back home would love.

The 45 minute drive was a lot more exciting than the destination itself. Hahahah! The rolling hills (beautiful rows of Olive trees) and the windy weather made it great for us to roll down the windows and let the stink from the other passengers of the taxi off and away.

Around 430 we were back in Meknes and spent another 30 minutes drinking orange juice. During this time I had to inform Alice and Val about our 530 PM train trip to Rabat.

Oh man! They arrived 527 and a simple hellos and hi’s between them and Katarina and off we were to slot # 1 of the train station.

The two had to buy booze and chips for our planned overnight Videoke concert.

During this trip, I begged Val for her notebook. I planned to watch A Lot Like Love (ALLL)again but Alice had other things in mind. She wanted to watch any except Amanda Peet and Ashton Kutcher’s feel good film.

We had to scroll thru Val’s movie database and finally decided to watch an unknown film (for me) Pootie T ang!

Well what can I say about the film? HILARIOUS! Do you remember Tado of Strangebrew? How the film was made was just like that. Indie feel and it highlighted the baduyness of the hiphop world which came out to be so funny! Alice and I never stopped laughing and giggling in the cabin. Hay!

We arrived in Rabat around 830 PM and went straight to Kuya S’s place. We were planning to have dinner in Katekori but Kuya S’s phone call, when we were in the taxi going to Katekori, meant dinner was waiting for us in his place.

Pinoy food forever! I’ve lost more weight in Morocco because of the lack of Pinoy food here. But of course!

His Majesty, Gerry and his gang (Salon peeps) were already there waiting for us. Gerry is the senior hairdresser in the salon and he used to sing professionally in Japan.

At first you’ll be intimated to sing in his presence but hey, videoke nights are meant to be enjoyed! I had a great time again with these Pinoys and I was really thankful for this.

Sunday came and Sunday night now again.

I went to Marjane Sale where I waited for the driver that will bring me back to Meknes. Not much of a story except that I woke up with sweat all over my face and back. We were in Khemiset for about an hour because my boss asked the driver to buy something from the pharmacy. It was Sunday and most of the stores there were closed.

Well…

Am back here in my room typing this draft in my MS Word 2007 but later I’d publish this. I don’t feel good. I feel tired and again alone. Hay!

But I’d like to say thanks to everyone who I’ve spent time with in my 16th weekend here in Morocco. Special thanks to Alice, my BFF and kumare! To Val who sings Breathless and Smooth Operator with so much gusto that when I listen to her sing them, I just have to stand up and dance. Val, I missed your Stevie Wonder’s favorite. Really! Wish I could hear you sing it again. Of course, Kuya S is just great. Maraming salamat po! To the parlor peeps thanks! To Noemie, I wish we were able to make your teary eyed night a little lighter with our senseless singing and dancing.

My sweet 16th.

But looking back now, it’s not as sweet as I think it could have been. I’m tired now and the more I spend time with my fellow Pinoys, the more I realize that I do miss the Philippines.

I’m off now. After this post, I might play another song from my notebook for the entire sleepless night. Tomorrow will hopefully be a better day, I’ll be in Ifrane. I’ll get my haircut and possibly Hammam! To detox the caffeine and alcohol I’ve infused in my blood this past two weeks.

Bye!

1 comment:

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1