Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Sunday, May 24, 2009

GM Antonio Makes It

With my hopes turning into disappointment and my disappointment into dreaded reality, we now have to write and focus more on the one bright star that shone the most for Philippine Chess in the recently concluded Asian Continental Chess Cup.

GM Rogelio "Joey" Antonio Jr makes the cut for the ten qualifiers for the World Chess Cup 2009 to be held in Khanty-Mansiysk, Russia on Nov. 20-Dec. 15.

Wikipedia's short entry about GM Antonio do not tell us as much as what Mr Bobby Ang has told us in Philippine Chess Volume 1. To give you a more detailed account of his career, let me direct you to his FIDE players profile, April 2009 and January 2009 Individual Calculations and Progress Rating Chart.

I remember very well in 2006 when I was in the Press room of GMA Cup in Paranaque Duty Free Mall. IA WIllie Abalos came in and announced about Antonio's "withdrawal" in the tourney due to health reasons, but only after a bad start. Do check out the comments we got in that post and you'll know the speculations among our readers.

I don't really know what's between our revered chess chronicler, Bobby Ang and our featured player now but I believe he must have taken by heart Mr. Ang's perfectly-timed essay on his Chess Piece column What now Joey Antonio?

Perfect!

I just wish to see him play in the best tournament of his life come November-December 2009. As we all know, we really have to hit the books and get back to our winning ways!

For GM Wesley So, this is another missed Qualifier for you. In time you will be there playing amongst the best of our era. When I learned about your first round defeat against a lower rated opponent I just thought of whispering this to you

"Wesley, take a break for now and re-energize... You've done us all proud and nobody can blame you if you take a breather"

The whole nation is behind you guys, just keep on pushing those pawns!

4 comments:

  1. This is a great showing from GM Antonio who is fresh from his very successful US tour, winning most of the events he played in. The golden ticket to the World Cup is a much needed shot in the arm for RP chess. Sayang nga lang at hindi pinalad sila GMs Torre and So, sana ay may grandslam finish tayo, of sorts.

    BTW, thanks for including MERALCO Chess Club in your side bar.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. F.A. BuenaventuraMay 25, 2009 at 4:24 AM

    Hi Sir Rolly!

    I think our GM Wesley So needs to rest for awhile and seriously focus on playing in the European circuit. It would have made a great training for him before the ACCC if he played in Europe. As for GM Torre, I would love to seem him give that one "last push" towards greatness before he retire.

    No problem about the sidebar. I wish I can find all Pinoy Owned Chess Blogs and Websites and have it on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. F.A. BuenaventuraMay 25, 2009 at 4:24 AM

    Hi Sir Rolly!

    I think our GM Wesley So needs to rest for awhile and seriously focus on playing in the European circuit. It would have made a great training for him before the ACCC if he played in Europe. As for GM Torre, I would love to seem him give that one "last push" towards greatness before he retire.

    No problem about the sidebar. I wish I can find all Pinoy Owned Chess Blogs and Websites and have it on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiko,

    I accompanied my son at NM Bernardino's palmdale Age Group in RMHS in Cubao last Sunday where I met GM Joey, upon the intro of Sally Bersmina, Pau's mother.

    For a lowly chess player like me, chit-chatting with a real GM is like earning a GM norm already. Yes, that is the closest that I can achieve.

    I found GM Joey very very very friendly. Always smiling and parang matagal mo na siayng kaibigan kung kausap, very informal at kalog. Yes, that is the word, kalog.

    I also found out that he coaches our RP Para Chess Team and he was asking our club to play with them. What do you think that a non-rated player like me answer to a soon-to-ber Super-GM? Pwede bang hindi-an ang request ng GM? Thus, we invited them on July 11 for a possible mini-tournament at MERALCO with BW and LSGH.

    ReplyDelete

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1