Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Friday, March 20, 2009

Pete and his Quotes

... should I say, I qouted him? Hehehe!

Let me take you to my imagined conversation and interview (based on Chessbase) session with GM Pete Svidler:

Number 1 : "I am a better player than my current results show"


Hmmm! I often receive that praise (?) after winning against a much higher rated opponent when I play games on my notebook against Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition. Like min eis 600 and my opponent woul be 601. Hahahaha! These numbers are numbers anyways but they would also spell the difference between playing in world class tournaments by invitation only and watching the same RSVP tournament on the net.

Number 2: I am in better shape now than I used to be, but I don’t do that much sport. In my case I feel that if I stop myself from eating that much I’m doing okay. I’m sticking with that program for now.


Something the worldwide Diet Industry and it's parishoners can learn from.

Number 3: Number twenty in the world at the age of 32, 33, you are not really so hot anymore in the eyes of the organisers.


Well, from a world class player comes those words... Now what was I thinking when I said that greatness comes from humility? WTF!

Number 4: For me Mexico was a huge disappointment because this was the first time, perhaps in my life, where I felt I was really, really well prepared. You could probably even see it from the games. I got myself into shape, I started working out, and I came there with about three new openings, and with ideas in practically every single critical line. But I just couldn’t play, which was very surprising for me. I just couldn’t understand it. I still don’t really know what happened. Somehow the one time I really felt I could actually do well I did incredibly badly.


Hang in there Pete! There are days and there are better days. But remember always, no matter how much ready we seem we are, if the ball ain't round then it must be square and it won't fit your plan for success.

Number 5: And also I suppose it is an age thing. It seems mildly ridiculous to say this at 32, but I’m now constantly ending up second or third in everything I play, so it becomes obviously harder to compete with younger people.


Youth prevails and slowly taking on the world in all areas or field of endeavors. What can I say Pete? I was born 7 days ahead of you in the same year and month. I guess the confidence or lack of it has a lot to do with our shared Zodiac sign: Gemini!


Number 6: But in general you can’t help but feel that the World Championship is something that – like American politics – happens in a dark smoky room somewhere, and you have no access to this dark room. As long as this is going on I feel I just need to improve, get myself in proper mental shape, and then what happens happens.


How I love this part, the dark smokey room, no one has access to it except for the chosen few. very familiar with the feeling man, very!

Number 7: I think Topalov deserved to win it because he was the more confident player. Plus two in seven games looks like a rout, like a crushing victory, but it was basically a very even match with two games completely ruined by time trouble.


Never hesitate... hesitation is the number one road killer and number one reason why basketball shots don't go in during crunch time. The difference between a Michael Jordan buzzer beater and an MJ wanna-be! Same in chess, Pete.

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1