Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Morocco IS' Badminton Meet '09

Hi peeps!

My wards watched and enjoyed so much this year's edition of the Morocco International School's Badminton meet which was hosted by American School of Ifrane (ASI) yesterday and today.

From what I've gathered, Casablanca American School (CAS)took the over-all champion honor followed by the ASI.

Saturday was tiring but fun-filled as I stayed most of the day with my friend kumare Alice who travelled from Rabat to Meknes then Ifrane to be with her wards. We had a great time chatting with other teachers and parents from ASI and from George Washington Academy (GWA).

Another "where I am from moment" took place and again, the inquirer got it wrong. She asked "Are you an Indonesian?" I said no, Filipino. And she felt bad about herself because she didn't get it right. The lady told us about her "thing" about guessing other people's cultural or country origin and boy oh boy, she's been around the world as an English as a Second Language teacher.

I immediately recalled my friend, the former Ms. Rhea Dario, when she said "You'd like to travel? Teach and you'll see the world". True enough, as the borders of the countries around the world open up and their youth get connected via the internet, there is this very big need for teachers from all over the world offering a "different view, different way" attitude. "International Education" is the way they say, towards international understanding. Be a teacher!

Anyways, I've picked a lot from Mr. Rettino today. From his tutoring times with this "prince" from one of the oil producing countries to his sad experience in Spain when he wanted beer but could not remember the Spanish name for it. The poor guy ordered coffee instead and while he was seeping that cup of coffee, someone he knew cam around and said the magic word "CERVEZA".

Hahahha! Save the best for last!

And I of course told them my sad story about the plate in the restaurant 2 weeks ago. I didn't want to eat the tagine with my local companion in the communal plate served to us so I asked for a "plate". First given to me was a roll of tissue, next was a "cob". I was giving up on the idea of eating my meal on my own plate after almost 10 minutes of using the universal language that never seem to work with the guy I was talking to... "Gestural". I asked for the last time then if I can enter his kitchen... when I found one plate, I grabbed and took it out, the most precious plate ever!

Anyways, more stories popped out during our chat about being a foreigner in a foreign land and I'll be keeping them for now in my tab.

Did you know when Pinoys meet they snap at each other? Enjoy the shots! Pansinin ninyo yung campus ng Al Akhawayn University, very homey, very beautiful! I think the closest resemblance in form of this university in my country Philippines is the De La Salle University-Dasmarinas and the Health and Sciences of DLSU Campuses both in Dasmarinas Cavite.













This university has a very nice swimming pool facility and I get to swim there twice a week with my ward. Really nice! I haven't seen anyone play chess in the campus though and I've been hoping I could play over-the-board chess once again.

Anyways, Alice brought her camera too and am waiting for her to send me the photos so I can filter which ones get to be posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1