Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekend Train Trip

Good day to all!

As most of you know, I am on a travel mode since Saturday and I've spent my weekend with friends mostly trying to figure out the best way to spend and while away my time sitting (and all the sitting position a man can think of) in a train.

Just to give an idea what I've done this weekend.

Saturday, April 25

900AM-1200NN

Review and homework studies with my ward. Again, consistency in being inconsistent with his consistencies the main theme of my ward. Not much of a thing to elaborate on.

1200NN- 130 NN

Oh I love the thought of Hammam! So when I learned about my ward's intention of going to Hammam, I said I'll go to Hammam too. You all know what it is right? If not, then click on this: Science of Hammam.

130NN-430NN

I visited and prayed in the Catholic Church of Meknes. After saying my thanks and gratitude, whispers of adoration and praises, I went the coffee shop right in front of the church and behind Hotel Malta.

I had two nice croissant with beef-tasting fillings and a glass of ole'. Ole' is what you call a drink with milk and coffee here in Morocco. I spent my hours waiting for Val chatting with Tristan (my bro-in-law). We tried to play chess at FICS but we just couldn't figure out the how's of playing against each other.

430-515PM

Val arrived and offline I went.

I told her I know a Pizzeria where we can have our early dinner before torturing ourselves to a ten hour train trip to Marrakesh from Meknes. Cheese burger and humor is a nice thing to share upon. Plus Val's star complex helps fill in dead air.

530PM-100 AM Sunday April 26

Hmmmm!

First, we had our 1st class train couch! It's the premier or we don't travel at all. If you're here in Morocco and plan to use the train, it's better if you spend a little more and purchase a first class ticket than board on a 2nd class too much populated couches.

I watched A Lot Like Love movie during this time after an endless chatting with Val. The movie is on my favorite list and my wife knows this kilig I get when I watch and think about it. The movie OST is just great!

A nice Moroccan lady named Hagar went in our couch to study but she made the wrong choice. Instead of focusing and concentrating on her books, Val and I, the ever social and talkative Filipino creatures we were, conversed with her. She was good in English, Spanish and French.

There was another guy in the cabin who could not speak English at all but chimed in and laughed with was, with the help of Hagar's translation and wittiness. We exchanged travel stories and "I am lost" moments as a foreigner in a strange land. Each of us had these moments and we were one in saying that traveling makes one smarter and more open to other cultures.

It was a long trip... In fact before Hagar came, we had mad a fool of ourselves by dancing, singing and yes, walking back and forth the train.

100AM, Marrakech Finally!

We arrived at Marrakech Station, the final destination. We waited for Alice and her fiance' Tiff for 20 minutes. I thought they'll be there waiting for us with placards: "losers!" much like the scene in A Lot Like Love. Well, turns out they were busy with something!

We rode the petit taxi (city taxi) and went straight to the few remaining establishments operating during this time. Whether I liked it or not, I had no choice but eat at KFC Marrakesh. Good times with my company except for the stupid taxi driver who thought he was part of the gang and went inside with us and lined up to order at the counter. Our local guy, Tiff, did some ass-kicking without actually kicking and the driver went back to his rightful lowly place, behind the wheels while we were eating. And he still didn't get it right because he came back and took some fries without our permission, my permission. Oh well, the difference between is a big space called self-respect. Enough of him!

200-400 AM

Well, after photo opps on one of the many available lighted squares in Marrakech, we walked more and Val, our resident dance-addict, led us to the first club she found. 150 Dirhams was an expensive amount to break one's eardrums, suffocate in smoke filled room and get tipsy with sky-high prices of my favorite drink, TEQUILA.

400 AM

Off we went out and with ringing in my ears, I had to ask Val and Alice if there were indeed birds nearby chirping. Thank God there were and my ears are perfectly safe but momentarily impaired. We all walked back to our apartment. The rest of the time we watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Of course we stole some sleep time and Alice just had to wake me up for Tiff's morning farewell as he had to earn a living as a Zip Lines Monitor. I promise I'll try it before my break in July.

1000 AM

Off we went to the Old City of Medina. Medina of Marrakech is a World Heritage Site. This is my second time to be here and the square and the people that populate it just never ceases to amaze me. Snake charmers, old time musicians playing with their native Moroccan instruments are big time goodies for me.

Before I forget. I had a bad experience with a beggar on our way to the train station to buy our 100NN train tickets. He asked for money and we simply ignored him. He gestured to my bottle of water and I gestured no. That's when the time he tried to take it away from my hands, thus catching the strap of Alice' camera which was on my neck.

Fuck! It didn't look good and Val was quick to say "Shuma!" which meant shame on you! A local guy on his motor bike stopped and looked like he'll give me help but then he didn't need to. The beggar didn't bug us anymore.

Back to Medina moments.

Because of the incident, I didn't feel like smiling and walking around. Although the company is really great and all the possible camera captures I could have, I chose not to take any as my would be subjects for sure will pester me for loose Dirhams. Not that I am being skimpy but I thought "forget about them. They are so abusive with alms-giving.

Anyways, the three of us contented ourselves with photos of our own. Hahahah!

A few more walks and window shopping, off we went for lunch. By the way, I found a shop that sells Moroccan swords which I plan to buy for friends in the Philippines. We had a nice lunch in one of the tile-infested restaurants in the Medina. I love the architecture of that building.

1200 NN

We're back in our apartment and packed our bags. We were hoping to be in the train station 30 minutes early because we really want to upgrade our tickets to first class seats. Remember, go first class or go home. With a time travel of more than 7 hours, you would thank Heavens for the extra money you have for a comfortable travel.

Caution: MOROCCANS ALONG THE RAILWAYS!

Someone threw a stone on the train and it hit the windows where our cabin was. Fuck! Alice got broken glasses all over her. Val was sitting next to the door and I was in the middle while Alice was on the last row, the farthest. She got all the impact and it was a wake up call. You just can't be too relaxed when traveling.

We helped out and made sure Alice was A-Okay! We transferred cabins and savored the dead-air. Val insisted we talk to the train officer when go down. We asked to have a written report about the incident but the security chief said we have to come back because he needs talk to the train travel chief.

600PM

We went straight to the hospital for medical flush-out procedures of the glasses. Good news, no serious medical concerns!


700 PM

Dinner at Friday's! Great food, great time!

830 PM

In the apartment now!

Locked the door, closed the window and slept!

Photos from my weekend trip to follow! It was a tiring weekend but definitely fun filled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1