Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Nightmarish Chess News

Last January 16, 2 weeks before my planned flight to Morocco, I asked the question "Pinoy Chessers, Where Art Though?" Filipino Chess players are and have been training future chess stars of other countries, specially Singapore.

Do you remember that?

It's also interesting to read the comment given by another Filipino chess blogger calling himself Chessbuff who is based in the US of A. Read it here.

My prelude has something to do with what I've seen in my vision from last night.

Last night's sleep brought me to the darker side of the dreamland. I had a dream, a bad one! Let me call it a nightmare instead. In my REM state of consciousness, I got news in vague details, about a certain Filipino chess player and his family's intention to migrate to Singapore.

This might be real or could be a fluke, but for now I won't name the player or the members of the family.

Take note of this post, RP Chess can and will never be the same again if my vision turns into a reality.

Now you see, I was a child of the eighties where Ebony and Ivory of Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder ruled the airwaves and I kinda like it till now. An era when most of the households in our neighborhood had one aspiration and that is to have someone from the family work overseas.

I have nothing against this and you know what, if it improves one's life in most areas, go ahead and enjoy while becoming financially independent and chess-ically better.

I also feel this is another way for the player to further his career in chess which is good, really good!

On the other hand, this is sad news!

Although until now I could not understand myself why I cried and really grieved because of Francis M's death, chess-playing Filipinos will definitely find this one hard to take.

I guess even the residents of Baranggay Ginebra who only knows how to dribble and shoot the ball will take time out to think about the state of Philippine Sports, Philippine Chess and in general, our country's condition.

Sad indeed!

Will our subject and the family be moving within the year? I don't know. Next month? I don't know. Next year? I don't know.

Still in my rapid eye movement state, I wanted to ask the player and the family these questions:

"Are you ready to give up your citizenship and federation affiliation?"

"For sure you've thought about this long and hard, are you ready to give up the life you have in the Philippines?"

"This is something good for the family but are you ready to leave your career in the Philippines behind?"

Well, these were the same questions I asked myself when I was at the crossroads of my life. Now I'm here in Morocco and has somehow settled but really excited to go back home by July and eat all those dishes only Filipinos can truly cook.

Also, we've seen chess players defect from their home country to another to enjoy a much better life and career so I guess, this ain't new except that our chess player happens to be one of the best our country has produced.

Sooner or later the news will fill the cyberspace specially chess related spaces.

Who is our player in my vision?

Tune in for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1