Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Valenzuela City Crashes Tagaytay

A stunning win from Valenzuela City Team against the defending champions Tagaytay City with a score of 3.5 vs .5.

GMA News.TV has been active lately in giving attention to the scene and this would have to be welcomed and appreciated by bloggers like me and the chess community as well.

Here is their version of the story.

I didn't like their opening salvo which said:

"Little known Vic Neil Villanueva and Silverio Abasolo delivered in the lower boards as Valenzuela City made its mark in the 2009 National Inter-Cities and Municipalities chess team championship in Tarlac City."


The first two words made me grin and laugh at the Big Boys and how they try to portray in writing our players. Vic Neil Villanueva and Silverio abasolo as unknowns? They are UNKNOWNS because mainstream media do so.

C'mon guys, these players have been around in Philippine Chess specifically in the amateur level and that doesn't make them unknown.

I remember the chat I had last week with a Filipino national master wherein he told me he is about to coach another chess team that plays in the NCAA. I quote:

"Everything is still under wraps and if everything pushes thru as planned, the school will be my 4TH one to coach and train... And this is a big challenge for me... you don't need to write about me, am not someone in Philippine chess."


Which I calmly replied:


"NM, Philippine Chess was created specially for those chess players who aren't published and given importance by the mainstream media"


And while I was writing this post, I got a nod from one of our GM's to have an email interview. So watch out for that, it's not everyday that I spend time out to interview Pinoy chess personalities.

Clue: Our GM may as well lead our country in our quest for a National Scholastic Chess Development Program.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1