Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Darija Day

I finally attended my Darija Lessons with Ate Wilma in Hameria, Meknes. What can I say? Ate Wilma and me plus the excuse-me-I-need-to-check-something-in-and-out female teacher slash secretary slash receptionist of the school I never even know the name of.

Now I know why Ate was and is hesitant about the lessons... it gives one the stupid feeling of being left alone when in fact you were there to maximize your time. I was asking Ate, is this how they teach you the past 3 months?

But today, thanks to my kakulitan and willingness to learn, when the fake teacher sat down in front of us and started telling us something about the letters and how these Moroccan Alphabet should be written, I said "Madame excuse me, Afek, I would like to learn Survival Darija for now."

After another excuse-me-I-need-to-check-something-in-and-out moment, she came back and said, "Right, you will never need Formal Arabic or Classical Arabic!"

Whaaaaaaaat? I thought there were only two variants, Darija and Classical Arabic!

So the comedy moments began.

After another excuse-me-I-need-to-check-something-in-and-out moment, she came back with two substitute and said "I'm sorry I'm too busy but they will teach you what you need.."

Well now.

Imagine the room with my barrage of please-tell-me-how-to-say-this-and-that while Ate Wilma just mums herself. Ate knows how to speak Classical Arabic anyways so when I don't hear it correctly, which was almost always the case, she interjects and explains.

The guy laughed out loud when I said "Please man, tell me how to ask someone if she wants to go out with me." He said "Oh that's really important I know!"

We started the session around 330 in the afternoon and Ate and I wanted to have the lessons finished around 415 so we can still roam around. It was more for Ate Wilma's tour than mine, I'm sick and tired of Hameria, the new medina of Meknes.

It was a comical relief for me, spending an hour pretending to learn enthusiastically the language but I would rather learn French from the French Institute.

On our way out, we chanced upon our male teacher and I handed him a pack of eminems!

It's my mom's birthday today! Happy birthday Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1