Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mind At War

I have digested as much as I can about World War II atrocities indirectly in the past three weeks. Remember The Brutal Holocaust post I made last month? So far I browsed-read-skipped the book according to what my catches my 20/20 visual apparatus. I have read the chapters about Forced Labour, Rape of Manila and Comfort Women. If Armando Ang's numbers are right, then we can say that Manila was Warsaw of Asia. No thanks to the Allied Forces and to the Japs.

Amidst my searching and seeking for knowledge of history, my friend lend me a book by Frederick Forsyth called The Odessa File and was hooked to it instantly. The story had someth to do with World War II Atrocities by the German Nazi's, SS Men hunted by Jewish Militia and a reporter's quest for justice for his father's murder. I needed only a week to read the book then came another help, another friend gave me a film copy of The Odessa File which he downloaded at Torrentz. 

In the film adaptation of the novel, Jon Voight played the main character in Frank Miller. I was so interested to know who played the role of Sigi, the fiance' of Miller and I found out it was Mary Tamm. Of course I watched the film expecting to see the bed scenes Frederick Forsyth masterfully told us in the novel but damn it wasn't there.

Interestingly, these two artistic outputs made me learn so much about World War II which I think I can never learn in the four corners of a classroom. Occuring on the oposite hemispheres of the globe, the people depicted in the film and the victims stories in the book told me one thing: World Wars don't solve anything.

And last night I saw Lourd de Vera's segment in The Evening News of TV 5 which included World War II tidbits and trivias. This propelled me to vheck out the YouTube videos about The Battle of Manila:



I guess my World War II research will continue until the end of March this year and hopefully I'll have a better vision and understanding of what life was like then.

P.S.

I hope the next President of the Philippines will have the most respect of Philippine History.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1