Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chess: Better grades?


Hi there!

I was checking the blog of one of the world's strongest player ever and was surprised to have read the statement "Study after study shows that children who are better at chess get better grades."

As a special needs teacher myself, I kind'a moved back and asked myself aloud (while my Irish twin sons Ydam and Miguel playing in the background this late!)"Better grades or better prepared for life?"

Common perception of the Filipinos have of the chess community and the players in it is either they're nuts or they're nuts without a college degree to feed them or their families.

A sad reality of perceptions!

I was guilty of this belief too five years ago... Who wouldn't be?

The late Bobby Fischer, who captured the Filipinos imagination when he won the world title in 1972 (full of eccentricities) and established close ties with President Ferdinand Marcos, GM Eugene Torre and a lot of people in the chess community, stayed for a long time here too. He was seen as nuts too, someone who could convincingly win over great opponents but could not plan well for his own good in his personal matters. I grew having the belief that chess players are... well, ill-equiped for the real world.

But all these changed, at least on my part and am slowly helping in my own little way change other people's beliefs about chess and the players of the game.

Because of this blog, I met players, coaches, trainers, arbiters, fans like me, onlookers, children starting out, children who are candidate masters and other stakeholders of the game.

Slowly, these chance meetings (well, other meetings were calendared!) showed me who these people are during the games, before the games, after the games and yes, even when they're not playing the game.

Just like in any other sports or arena, people are people. They have different personas, different likes and dislikes, some love shoes while others love booze. I love books and most of them too. Others love to debate while others love debating even more (the hell!). Younger players are almost always shy but don't mistaken this for being snub but a lot of times they're deep in thoughts trying to figure out which move to make (specially when losing!).

I've seen someone, an IM, walk to and fro while waiting for his opponent to make a move and and I was surprised (and scared!) to see him laugh quietly while his face was grinning very much like one of my patients in the National Center for Mental Health during my occupational therapy internship. Man I said to myself, I guess I would have to make sure I just enjoy the games.

I've seen players shed tears during the games and hear an adult say "These are the players that I would love to have on my team, those who cry because they didnt win..."

Yes, everything changed since 2003, I met successful individuals who used to play chess competitively... they're the ones who made sure they've applied the subtle teachings of the game.

Chess they say teaches you skills you need in life, decision making skills, determination, logical thinking and other so-good-to-hear values. But why do we have those park masters who need to win 5 peso blitz games just to have their first meal of the day?

I say, it's the breaks of the game, same in life. Sometimes, no matter how good or bad one is, if the breaks go against you, you end up reeling in the bottom.

I say too that chess helps people become better equipped for life not just get good grades.

Chess not drama, good grades maybe. Better prepared for life, should be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1