Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Chess and Freudian Theory


Hey there!

I have considered myself as an ex-big time fan of one of the world's courageous man who ever walked the earth. The father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud. During my college days and graduate schooling, I have often referred to his works in silence as the basis of all human developmental theories.

In one of the only two graduate classes I've mentored in my very young 8 year career as an academician, there was one student who pointed to me and the rest of the class how obsolete and outdated Freud's works are in the 20th century.

She tasked herself on proving my veneration for the man as one of the "best thing ever happened" in psychology and education as a mistake.

Fast forward, I have come across this article about chess and it's relationship with Freud's theory. It's called Chess, psychoanalysis, evolutionary psychology and the nature of pseudoscience. You can read this rather lengthy read at Scientific blogging. Give it some time and you'll find some weird correlation to psychology and chess. Although there is the usual
...got to the chapter dealing with the dark side of chess: the fact that a small but significant number of top players throughout history have gone off the deep end -- including the famous American world champion Bobby Fisher...
which intimidates non-chess playing brainies.

What was my reaction to the article? Not much. Thought of playing the game when time allows me and reminded to mak sure I enjoy this beautiful game.

On to local chess...

The Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) Summer Chess Festival and Summer Youth Chess Festival will get going on May 19 to 21 at the Gaisano South Citimall. Visit Sun Star Davao for further details. Still in Davao scene, the Primovit Rapid Age Group Chess Championship is set from June 27-28 at the Gaisano South Citimall. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1