Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Chessbase, e-books and Me

What would you do if you were given a database of chess games containing 506,444 games from the 1800’s till 2000 and counting? With an ACER notebook, a HIARCS 9 software and an idiotic techie who is more of a user than a programmer? Plus the 150 plus chess e-books and GM Romans’ Lab tutorial videos? And yes, still counting!!!

I wanna cry! I should be using all these resources to my advantage right? Where should I start? How do I do it?

Issues I have regarding these resources falling upon my lap from generous chessmen of and from earth:

1. First, I believe I already have the PGN files which I can use for chess publisher and post the games here at Philippine Chess Chronicles, how do I import/export it? Which drop down window should I click?

2. What am I suppose to do with all the games? How do I classify them? According to Openings? To checkmate patterns or names?

3. Whaaahhh!

It’s freaky scary just to think that with all the resources I have now I lack the most important element for me to improve my chess play… TIME! Whaaah!
Give me time or kill me!

It used to be so easy and simple. After work, go home, help out with the kids and some fix it things around and before sleeping, read Patrick Wolffe’s Complete Idiot’s Guide to Playing Chess. Yes, I’ve learned so much from that book. This is the book which has consistently been on the list for recommended readings from a lot of chess gurus. NM Dan Heisman, the famous chess teacher from USA, who has authored the book Everyone’s Second Chess Book and couple more, also recommends Patrick Wolffe’s book.

Lately, I’ve been reading up on Albert and Pelts’ e-books Comprehensive Chess Program 1 and 2. Yes vey basic and helps me a lot teaching myself and my students in my After School Activity Chess Club. I was also given the third part of the series of the same authors but have not really read it yet.

I really need to know where to start, how to start a self-study program. Help please! I would appreciate so much your comments.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1