Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Come 1st of May

Hi there!

Bee Gees hit late 1960's? hahahah!

A lot of chess from May 1 to 10 for Filipinos, specially those 18 years and Under (of course that includes 16, 14, 12, 10 and 8 year olds) 20 and Under.

Today, after my sideline (heheheh!), I went straight to Marketplace Mall in Kalentong, Mandaluyong City. The Opening Ceremony and 1st round of the National Age Group Championship 2007 started around 2PM (for the Girls 18 and Under Category, sadly, it was not a simuiltaneous event because the organizers had to do it on a per category basis) as opposed to the announced 1 PM schedule.

International Arbiter and Tournament Organizer Mr. Willie Abalos announced on stage:

"Unawain na ninyo na ang mga 1st rounds ng mga ganitong klase ng tournament ay nagyayari ngunit inaayos na namin (do understand that the 1st rounds of these types of tournaments usually are chaotic but we are fixing it now)"

I guess it is an accepted fact in the chess community that no tournament has ever started on schedule... tsk! tsk! tsk! I could remember very well the line which Mr. John Sy of Xavier School when we played in the 3rd Xavier Inter-scholastic Chess Invitatioal:

"For the first time in Philippine Chess History, a tournament will start on time!!!"

I arrived at The Marketplace Shopping Mall around 12:30 NN and yes! I was so glad to have chatted and met up familiar chess friends. NM Erwin Carag was there, IA Rolly Yutuc was so supportive enough to have given me tips on dealing with people in the community. Asia's first International Master Cardoso was there. Of Course, ICAinc's Asdviser and IA Gene Poliarco was there, manning the computer pairing software. Familiar chess parents and players of course.

What did I do from 1230 to 3PM? aside of course from observing the event unfold towards the KO side? NM Carag was kind enough to exchange stories and infos with me. Oh man! I really wish to see Philippine Chess Society become active again. I heard from Erwin how PCS organized events bigger than this one but smoother on the edges (inside out?)

Also, I was so glad to have met in person, The Weekender's Manny Benitez. All praises he was about our blog!!! Thanks! Thanks!

Anyways, let's go back to "the event unfold towards the KO side". KO means? Ok? Knock out? K!-Ows? or chaos?

My mom used to tell us that if we have nothing good to say, we'd rather shut our mouth!

So I guess I would be............................................................... going offline now.

I'll share na lang some of the pictures I took this afternoon before leaving around 6OOPM, the start of the second round. Again, contrary to the announcement that there would only be 1st round for todays opening.

Tristan Wayne S. Dandan of Imus Cavite
IA and Tournament Director Willie Abalos (I don't wish to be in his shoes!)







GM Mark Paragua shows younger sister an opening, Ana (8 and Under), while dad looks on!
Ana Paragua, lessons from Kuya!


Sorry about the other photos which do not have any labels. If you know those faces, please email me here and I'll be gald to put names where they belong.

Also, I got the chance to chit chat with Trevor Chan of Xavier School.

Again, good luck to all of you!

And lastly, I was told by NM Carag that the scoresheets game between NM Marlon Bernardino and Shipov can be seen or watched correctly at the Rooty Hills webpage. There is one move missing at The Closet Grandmaster's Blog.

You compare it na lang!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1