Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

3rd Xavier Interscholastic Chess Invitational (Part 2)

Hi!

To day, I am sharing the photos we have from the first 3 rounds (or first day) of the 3rd Xavier Interscholastic Chess Invitational but first, let me tell you a lot of good things that we had in Xavier that day(not in any specific order):

1. Xavier School provided the players a good playing hall... well-ventilated (AC) well-lighted hall that goes by the name Fr. Cortina Sports Center;

2. The tournament organizer, Mr. John Sy, who happens to be a Math teacher for Xavier too, well, lived up to his title... ORGANIZED the event perfectly;

3. This one will make those PROS drool to death.... For the first time in Philippine Chess history, a tournament started RIGHT ON SCHEDULED TIME! As what Sir John said to us coaches;

4. My students were so amazed at the facilities they saw in Xavier. Name me a sports and I'll tell you Xavier has the necessary playing court/area for it. Basketball? yes Xavier has it, not 4 but PLENTY basketball courts. Soccer field? Yes, two soccer fields I guess. Any other sports in mind? swimming? Yes! I didn't see it but I was told by my colleague who happens to be our swimming coach that they do have and Xavier's Swimming coach is his friend from high school. Extreme Sports? Yes! They have a room for Rock Climbing! Photography room, Carpentry room and all those facilities meant to follow the adage "Sound Mind and a Sound Body"! Shawn, one of my players, as we were walking towards the high school canteen blurted out in amazement "Mr. Francis, I think this is bigger than the Mall of Asia!"

5. I got to meet the Chess People who quietly works in the Philippine Chess scenc either as a chess coach, arbiter, trainer. I met International Arbiter Rolly Yutuc, who the BANG can only give good words about his chess coaching for Kids Approach. I also met there Xavier's (and UP Prep School) chess coach, National Master Erwin Carag. Also that day, I got to consult, and of course converse (almost the whole day!) one of the most successful scholastic chess coach in the Philippines, the low key, Mr. Expedito Bolico of La Immaculada Concepcion School (LICS). He was so accomodating enough to have shown me one Key Endgame Concept that I can teach my students. Of course it's top secret and I can't tell you what it was. There was also the coach of International School Manila which his name I forgot to ask, on saturday I'll make sure I do get his name.

6. About the win lose report... I guess for the Grade School Division it will be a battle for 2nd and 3rd place since the LICS are surely to win the Gold. For the Secondary or High School Division, I will need to check it out on saturday.

By the way, the schools which participated for the 3rd Xavier Interscholastic Chess Invitational are:

1. International School Manila
2. La Immaculada Concepcion School
3. Mahatma Gandhi International School
4. Xavier School

There were four schools all in all. So here now are some of the photos:

LICS and MGIS before the battle!


International Arbiter and Chess Trainer Roland Yutuc


Coach "X" Bolico of LICS and Me.


MGIS in a huddle.


Let the games begin!







In between the rounds:









Truly, our very first chess tournament outside of the school was an experience. We are looking forward on saturday's last 3 rounds.

Watch out for the results at PCC!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1