Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Nervousness

Hi there!

Today, I scanned the net, chessbase, TWIC, Indochess (Chess Piece), The Weekender, daily papers and other possible source of chess updates, specially the NCFP Forum but there's not much I got about Philippine Chess. Except maybe for the one I got from the Australian chess chat forum.

As I was checking the Chess Training Board, one thread really interested me because I can relate to the question asked by Zwischenzug(his avatar says CC FIDE Master) :
"Hi. All you tournament chess players probably have experienced this from time to time. Often I find myself more scared of my opponent than I am of their chess and wind up hanging a piece in my games. How do you deal with being nervous at tournaments? Anyone has any methods to calm those overly wild nerves?"

From there, a lot of replies came which says a lot:

Phil Bourke (CC Grandmaster)
"I am always nervous before the start of the 1st round for whatever reason, just remind myself that I am ready to play, call to mind a few games that have gone my way, and find that once the first few moves are played, the nerves dissipate quietly. I think that you will find this phenomena fairly normal in a lot of areas. Like before speaking publicly, taking an exam, asking for that first date, etc. The best advice is just be as prepared as you can be. Any sporting person will tell you of the need for many visits to the toilet prior to a big game I tell the kids, that if you aren't nervous, then it can't be important to you."


Denis_Jesoph(CC Grandmaster)
"I began playing competitive chess in the 1950s and I have suffered from nervousness and stress ever since so time doesn't cure it. When I was younger it didn't bother me so much and was a kind of challenge, especially if the toilet facilities were not good. Now it just bugs me and is one reason why I haven't played much chess in recent years. Incidentally, I never give a damn about my opponent - I more regarded chess as a test of my own ability which may have made things worse."


Watto (CC Grandmaster)
"quietly hysterical sums up how I felt before my first tournament games- horrible anxiety about the game, the scoring, the clocks, tournament etiquette, looking stupid, having to deal with failure...

Later I was just very nervous and unable to eat. Aside from the tournament nerves and ego difficulties with being a blundering beginner, I was really interested in chess, and I'm a bit stubborn, so I continued.

Now I’m just a bit edgy beforehand but nothing much more. I don’t feel nervous during the game. Not sure how long you’ve been playing in tournaments, Zwischenzug, but in my case a little bit of time and experience (just under 2 years) definitely has made a huge difference…"


Zwischenzug
"I have an idea, next time I go to a tournament, I'll assume my opponents are nervous also and it would be my job to exploit that . I am planning to go to a tournament this weekend and the last day to register is tomorrow.P.S. I've only been to two and a half tournaments"


Kevin Bonham:

This is only my advice, not necessarily any better or worse than anyone else of around my rating (and probably worse than that of some much better players, although I doubt most superGMs really understand what it is to be a club level player):

When playing someone with a much higher rating, just ignore who your opponent is and just try to play the best move you can in each position on the board. For instance, make it your aim for the game to check each move carefully for basic tactics and try to cut down on blunders.

If you're petrified that this opponent is so strong they will beat you no matter what you do, put the final result of the game out of your mind and just focus on trying to play as competitive a game as you can in the early stages. If by doing this you find that you get to a middlegame or endgame position that really isn't that scary-looking then you should start realising you actually have a chance to not lose, and work towards that outcome (don't get too carried away with "hey I'm going to get a draw" or "hey I'm going to win" as it may be you have missed something tricky.)

Remember that every time you play a higher-rated opponent they have something to lose. This is actually in your favour because if you can get a decent position out of the opening, some of them will panic and do silly things to try to get an edge. Relish the challenge of trying to give a stronger player a scare! (I have noticed that weaker players who really try to sock it to strong opponents and make them suffer often achieve upsets - but this doesn't mean you should go bananas with obviously futile sac-attacks). The good ones will stay calm because they know that even if you are equal in the middlegame, they can probably outplay you in the ending (or that even if you get an edge in wild tactics you will probably make a tactical error later), but not all strong players are sensible.

Also, work on endings! If you know your endgame play is reasonable then you have so much less to fear, and you don't then have to think "the best that can happen is I get outplayed in the ending".

Quote:
How do you deal with being nervous at tournaments? Anyone has any methods to calm those overly wild nerves?

I used to get really bad buildups of nervous tension in my arms before games during tournaments. I would deal with it by going outside and swinging my arms around in circles or backwards and forwards until all the tension was completely loosened up. Looked ridiculous, but quite effective.

Avoid caffeine during games unless you desperately need it to stay awake. Many chessplayers drink heaps of it, but it is rather double-edged in its effects on play quality and on the whole more danger than it's worth.


Frosty (CC Grandmaster)
As a junior (14-18 years of age) I used to get very nervous when playing Interclub matches. I recall at one game at MCC (Elizabeth Street premises?) where I chain-smoked until I made myself physically ill and had to resign my game despite having a good position on the board.

Nowadays (43) I don't get nervous at all and relish the opportunity to play against higher-rated players. As Kevin points out, they have more to "lose" than me, and I love trying to make them work hard for the point.


I guess nervousness really is one major factor in playing the game. I could remember myself when I played in my very first tournament in 2003 (geeh! so so late!) It was the Valentine's day tournament of MCC held in Cafe Lupe. Any reader who remembers this event? it was a big one in terms of the players who joined. I could remember the Dimakiling, TRUMAN HERNAEZ, and Wesley So in the Kiddies.

It was really a nerve wracking event for me. Hahahahah! I thought all along that I'll be playing against first timers and beginners. Hahahah! Was I wrong! really wrong.

My first round assignment, TRUMAN HERNAEZ. I lost. 2nd round, I lost. I lost all my games! $h@#%^&!!!!

Hahahaha! Sorry for that! I think this is the first time I cursed! Sorry again. Am not mad about the result, but I was tremendously mistaken about chess in the Philippines during that time. I even told myself I would not win against that 10 year old PROMIL BOY named Wesley So!

Nervousness? Yes! I didn't even know how to use the chess clock then! It was Truman who had to press my side of the clock before he made his first move as white. Oh man!

But here is something that until now would make me and my friends laugh about whenever I go back and visit Southern City Subdivision in Imus, Cavite Philippines. My chess playing friends in that subdivision would always tell me the story that we have a neighbor who's name is Truman. And they all say that nobody has won a game against him, that this guy is/was Joey Antonio's teammate for Tagaytay and that he's a mainstay of Luneta Team etc. etc.

I haven't got a chance to play against him because I always miss those times when he visits his parents house (southern city). And so, when I told them that I played in this tournament and my first round game was against Truman Hernaez, then came the laughter. Hahahah! "Pare, yun si Truman! Anak yun ni Engineer Hernaez! Yun yung kalaro namin dito! Ahahahahahah! (That's Truman, the son of Engineer Hernaez. He's the one we keep on telling you about!)

And there was one thing I could still remember. Weeks after, I met him in his parents place and he was also surprised to find me there! He was telling me about our game and that my queen was displaced etc. Then came the teasing and egging from the other mokongs!

Anyways, from the Australian Chess Chat, Zwischenzug had a by line which really made laugh:

"I am a brilliant chess player - I just have enormous difficulty proving it."

1 comment:

  1. There is, definitely, pressure before every game, but from where? Obviously, we want to win. Your opponent is just another player who has the dubious honor of playing a game where he has innumerable chances where he can go wrong. He's not perfect, and somewhere in his play are errors. You just have to find them. Rest assured that he is not Fritz9, and so you have a fighting chance. When my opponent starts posturing like he is such a grand player, the more I am gung-ho to get the game going and the ensuing play is actually my opportunity to humble him. If he wins, then I accept my mistakes and move on. Try sparring with a computer program like Fritz9. If you can hold your own against it for a while, then all the more that you can grapple with any human opponent that comes along. During play, I just see a board position and a hand that moves the other pieces. It doesnt matter who the hand belongs too. Of course, I am not your renowned and successful tournament player, but just an average joe. However, that is how I am never intimidated by my opponent. Who the hell does he think he is anyway?! Torre? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1