Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Homeschooling: Hiking in Talim Island


I finally found a good excuse to visit Talim Island. Our homeschoolers' topics were plants, land forms and bodies of water. Talim is found in the middle of  Laguna de Bay, enclosed by the provinces of Laguna and Rizal.

I used to stay at my aunt's place in Baranggay Navotas and then traverse the steep hills to reach my other aunt's place in Baranggay Subay. Subay and Navotas hasn't change a much except maybe for the proliferation of motorcycles and paved roads which make it annoying and scary for the activity we had last December 26 and 27: Hiking.

We were accompanied by my cousins Otep, Jacenth and Cayoy. We had fun in collecting samples of plants and flowers, looking over the cliffs and enjoying the breeze. My cousins were amused and I guess impressed with how our children were hands-on with their learning. The kids knew exactly what they wanted to do when we set foot in Subay-- discover the place as much as possible.


It was the the first time for my kids to visit the island and I took up the role of a historian-slash-tourist guide as we walked along the hills with drizzle and cold breeze. Thanks to the Christmas storm than made our walk so much easier. While walking, I told them stories about the birthplace of their lola, the hospital where we used to run around and reminded them of the once creepy places I was so scared of when I was their age visiting the place.



Nice fun times with the kids. Will I have another chance at this? I don't know but one thing is for sure: homeschooling our kids has offered us opportunities to learn together and have fun as a family on the side.

I can't ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1