Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Chess Mentor?

Hi there!

Late last December, I again accomodated for a week a chess student in my house. She was a 10 year old girl from Bacoor Cavite who once was my neighbor in Imus and whose father is a good friend of mine.

She was preparing for the Regional Games 2008 because she conquered the Cavite Provincial Chess Qualifying Tournament. At the age of 10 and currently a grade 5 student from Imus Pilot Elementary School, I believe she has the most crucial ingredient needed to become a star sooner... that is her hardwork and discipline!

All sessions I've provided her was simply about visualization, tactical training, whole-game approach and elementary end game lessons. I showed a bit of opening but did'nt really emphasized on it because I am not to teach anyone with anything if I'm not sure of the lesson.

Mate in three's, two's and one's the best part of the sessions. In fact we time this part of our lesson so as to give us a hint whether we are improving or not on speed aspect, plus of course visual know how.

That's mentoring? Coaching? Training? Teaching? What was I doing? Or simply facilitating one's learning? Let's ask the dictionary:

Main Entry: 1coach
Pronunciation: \ˈkōch\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive

Etymology: Middle English coche, from Middle French, from German Kutsche, from Hungarian kocsi (szekér), literally, wagon from Kocs, Hungary
Date: 1556

2[from the concept that the tutor conveys the student through examinations] a: a private tutor b: one who instructs or trains ; especially : one who instructs players in the fundamentals of a competitive sport and directs team strategy (a football coach)

Main Entry: 2 mentor
Function: transitive verb
Date: 1976
: to serve as a mentor for : tutor

Main Entry: fa·cil·i·ta·tor

Pronunciation: \fə-ˈsi-lə-ˌtā-tər\
Function: noun
Date: 1799

: one that facilitates; especially : one that helps to bring about an outcome (as learning, productivity, or communication) by providing indirect or unobtrusive assistance, guidance, or supervision (the workshop's facilitator kept discussion flowing smoothly)

Main Entry: train·er
Pronunciation: \ˈtrā-nər\
Function: noun
Date: 1598

1: one that trains
2: one (as a machine or vehicle) used in training
3: a person who treats the ailments and minor injuries of the members of an athletic team


Why am I writing these things?

Well I applied for a Chess Development Coordinator in one school and got in... Now am asking myself why am I in a situation where I will meet the chess team regularly and provide them training sessions. When I thought I applied for a Coordinator position, moe on the management and development of a School's Chess Program. Hay naku!

Anyways, got to start writing a training schedule for the players, do an inventory of what the school has for chess and what they dont have, meet the other sports officials and of course set a date for try outs, just have to make sure I don't miss out on any potentials among the enrolled students before I head out and look out for possible recruits. Of course, scholarships will be made available to deserving students.

What have I gotten myself into? HEADACHE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1