Wika Para sa Lahat

  Magandang araw! Magandang hapon! Magandang gabi! If you understood any of the words or phrases I used, chances are that you know they come...

Looking for Something Here?

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Mate in one

Hi guys!

For the past two schoolyears, I have sponsored a Chess Club in the school where I teach. Basically, the chess club falls under the ASA Program or After-School-Activity program and our session happens on a once a week-45 minutes only. Because of this, some of the students want to continue the lessons and games on a private session.

At first, I did'nt know where to start. I 've played chess but never really on a Master level and this was were I thought would be the end of the chess club or my chess lessons. When I met one of the Philippines' best scholastic chess coach, Mr. Expedito "X" Bolico, eveything was cleared. He assured me that one need not become a master to teach chess for beginners and intermediate players. For him, to teach the game is very different from playing the game. Such an assurance who has produce three National Masters, his own children.

I continued reading on chess coaching and other scholastic chess articles available online and this further assured me of how and where to begin teaching chess to my students in my club.

Well, almost everyone says it helps to give these beginners the mate in 1, 2 and 3 diagrams, depending on their skills. Fortunately, I got a copy of Laszlo Polgar's Chess Problems. Some call it the Brick and others simply Polgars Chess book.

Because my students are beginners, I assumed it would be good to start wth mate in one. I was right, very right. For one, they get confused with the squares, with the pieces and other stuffs but after some sessions, they tend to remember th rules, the pieces and others.

I have found some positions and diagrams which my kids find difficulty. Usually, the pawn promotion into a major piece, a knight, a rook or any other piece that would give the mate gives my kids the confusion.

Here's some of them:





4 comments:

  1. Hi Kiko,

    You are in the right tracked Kiko. I agreed with Mr. Bolico. There is no need to become a chess master to teach beginners and intermediate players. I would like to add 2 things to be a good coach.

    1. Passion and Dedication to teach chess.

    Lastly, Find this good friends of mine. Mr. Rudy Suaco and Bobby Ang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings,

    May I ask if anyone can relay to me the communication line (both Telephone and E-mail addresses of both Mr. Bobby Ang and Mr. Rudy Suaco.

    Thank you
    Mark Lawson
    New Mexico, USA
    MLTRADE@AOL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings,

    I need to get in touch with Mr. Bobby Ang and Mr. Rudy Suaco.

    May I request for their e-mail and telephone lines.

    Thank you
    Mark Lawson
    New Mexico
    MLTRADE@AOL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. you may call at mr suaco this no.322-0615

    ReplyDelete

Scholastic Basketball Camp

1st Founders' Cup

Scholastic Basketball Camp-1st Founders' Cup

16 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 4th 0
La Trinidad Academy Champion 5
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 4
La Camelle School 3rd 1

12 & Under Division Ranking 2019

School Rank Wins
SV Montessori 5th 0
La Trinidad Academy-Team A Champion 6
Charis Christian Institute 2nd 5
La Camelle School 3rd 4
La Trinidad Academy-Team B 4th 1